Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Matter of Perspective

For the last few weeks, I have been struggling with my perspective. The glass has been half empty instead of half full. I have felt sorry for myself and the fact that my life has not gone as I had planned. My birthday is coming and I have to say when I used to picture what my life would be like, it did not include being a widow with two small children at the age of 31.

I am trying to refocus my perspective. I am trying to see all of the MANY, MANY things I have to be thankful for. I am trying to be full of JOY!

So...
  • instead of grumbling about washing the dishes by hand for weeks, I am thankful that I have a house to wash my dishes in, that I have food to put on my dishes, and that I have two wonderful children to make the dishes dirty. (I am also thankful that Maytag/Whirlpool is replacing the dishwasher at no cost to me -- yay, warranties!)
  • instead of dreading bathing two 3 year olds, I am thankful for the giggles that come out with the bubbles and that I have clean, warm water to bathe them in.
  • instead of complaining about having to work out, I am thankful that God has allowed me to have a healthy body that can work out.

Those are just a few things I am trying to change my perspective on. In reality, life is full of blessing if I just take the time to look for them. Christmas is coming -- the celebration of Jesus' birth. A day that is a great reminder of the sacrifice He made for me!

3 comments:

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

good for you! i have been working so hard on maintaining a perspective that focuses on what i have to be grateful for as well. did you see nie nie when she was on oprah?

Kellee said...

Kuddos to you! Keep your chin up!!

xoxox

Sara said...

I had a wise older woman who led a bible study for seminary wives when my husband was in school mention that same thing... Instead of dreading the dishes, be thankful that you have sweet kids who dirty those dishes, or that you even have dishes to dirty. I just love that, and pray that I can have that kind of perspective each day too. Sometimes it can be a challenge...:)

Kristin, I am enjoying getting to know you more by reading your story. Wow, my heart just breaks at times and so goes out to you. I look forward to emailing, and I just want you to know you have been in my prayers and on my heart.
Sara

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers