Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Lessons from a Tomato Plant

My tomato plant looks TERRIBLE! The leaves are all yellow, brown and shriveling up. The stems seem to be sagging. It just looks weary.

But it is still bearing fruit.

I have felt like my life has kind of been reflected by my tomato plant lately. Yes, I realize that sounds really odd, but each morning when I go out to water my plant I just think it looks the way that I feel. I have been feeling worn out and tired over the last few days and weeks. The kids have been more challenging and needing me to be consistent in disciple. They have both had colds and have not been sleeping well, which leads to mom not sleeping well. I have really felt the "burden" of being the only parent. I have just felt weary.

God continues to teach me about his goodness and faithfulness in these difficult times. He continues to give me the strength to get through each day -- His strength has been the ONLY explanation lately. He has blessed me with people who are: praying for me, with people who have come over to help out with some of the daily routines, and with my parents taking the kids for a few hours so I could just have some time to do what I needed to do.

It is my hope and my prayer that each day as I seek God and get filled from His word I will still be able to bear His fruit in my weariness.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Wow... what a great post... and I see it... you are bearing fruit. Just through watching you persevere through this journey, I am greatly encouraged.

And I can relate to the tomato plants... when I came back from vacation my prior very prolific cucumber plants were totally shriveled up... but mine didn't have any more fruit :) Oh well...

Praying for you and the kids today!

Sara

Kelly said...

Hi dear friend,

I loved what you said in this post as I feel like I can relate so much.

I certainly wish I could physically lend you a helping hand and a shoulder to lean on. What I wouldn't do to have you here in Texas with me ;)

I will be praying for your little blessings to feel better soon and for all three of you to get some much needed rest. I will also continue to pray for God to continue to heal your heart. Lately, I have found myself crying out to the Lord to mend my aching heart - there are days the pain feels like it will never ever ever end.

Just remember - you WILL continue to bear fruit. All of your hard work, sleepless nights and determination will pay off. Your children are absolutely beautiful - they are growing bigger each day, and their hearts continue to learn about the Lord, drawing them closer and closer to Him.

Love and Many hugs!

Praying you get some much needed rest and peace tonight my friend.

God bless
Kelly

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers