Saturday, April 17, 2010

Whose Face Do You See?

Cystic Fibrosis -- I lived in ignorance for most of my life about this awful disease. I didn't know what cystic fibrosis was before 2001, I don't know that I had even heard of it before then. I had no idea that:

"Approximately 30,000 children and adults in the United States have cystic fibrosis. An additional ten million more—or about one in every 31 Americans—are carriers of the defective CF gene, but do not have the disease. CF is most common in Caucasians, but it can affect all races."

If you had asked me what the symptoms of CF were, I could not have told you that the most common are:
  • Very salty-tasting skin
  • Persistent coughing, at times with phlegm
  • Frequent lung infections, like pneumonia or bronchitis
  • Wheezing or shortness of breath
  • Poor growth/weight gain in spite of a good appetite
  • Frequent greasy, bulky stools or difficulty in bowel movements
  • Small, fleshy growths in the nose called nasal polyps
I had no idea that my life and the lives of my children would forever be changed by this disease...

Yet, when I think of cystic fibrosis I don't see a disease, I see a face, a person. I see the face of my husband. I see the face of Lily and Wyatt's daddy. I see the face of the person that I miss each an every day because this disease does not have a cure. I see Ryan.

I hear stories and read blogs about people with cystic fibrosis. Some stories are sad, difficult, and depressing. Some stories are happy, heartfelt, and exciting. Almost all stories have something positive to share. You see the thing about cystic fibrosis is that it seems to bring out the best in people. All of the people I have know with CF are positive about life. They see the glass as half-full. They are determined. They are fighters. They are unwilling to give up until the last option has been tried. They don't want you to feel sorry for them, they want you to see them as a person who has an illness, but is not defined by the illness.


Whose face do I see when I think about cystic fibrosis? I see my husband, who fought until the very end against this disease. Whose face do you see when you think about cystic fibrosis?


Please join me in fighting this terrible disease. Please join my team, Sweeney Striders, in taking a stand against this disease that takes lives every day, but not before those lives can make a difference. My personal goal for Great Strides is $1,000. I need 10 more people who are willing to partner with me at $10 a piece to help me reach my goal.

Facts about CF listed in the post can be found here.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi Kristin,

This brought sooo many tears to my eyes. What a beautiful, beautiful tribute to your husband. It helps those of us who are 'still in the dark' see the light of this terrible disease. I love you dear friend.

I just talked to Brett - we are going to donate $20 in honor of your sweet husband Ryan. I know the money you are raising will never take away the pain you are dealing with from having to go through life without your love, but perhaps it will help someone else find a little more time. I am so proud of you for doing this - and I know the families who are dealing with such a terrible situation are so grateful for your support. Certainly Ryan is smiling down on you..as is our Heavenly Father.

Love and 1000 hugs.

Kelly

Kristen said...

Ryan never complained, not in all of the years I knew him. I cannot imagine. Was thinking about you today as Kevin and I were discussing graduation this year and then thinking back to the previous graduations we have been here for. Remembering the first one when Ryan went home to be with the Lord. Brought tears to my eyes. So glad he is no longer suffering.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers