Monday, March 2, 2009

Celebrating Ryan

We have been celebrating Ryan's birthdays in different ways throughout the day today. When the kids first woke up we said "Happy Birthday, Daddy" and we talked about his birthday party in heaven with Jesus.

We watched our "Daddy" movie in our jammies! How good it was to hear his voice and his laughter this morning!

Later in the morning, the kids asked for Ryan's cell phone. I got it out for them and they called Daddy and asked how he was doing in heaven on his birthday (this was completely their own doing -- so precious!).



Our next adventure was getting balloons to send to Daddy. They each picked two latex balloons (Wyatt: green and blue; Lily: purple and purple) one to send to Daddy and one to keep. We also got a Mylar birthday balloon. We went to Daddy's place and sent the balloons to Daddy in heaven.

What could be better than McDonald's for lunch to celebrate Daddy's birthday?

Of course we had to enjoy some ice cream after eating such a nutritious lunch! :)

The best part of the day was going to see a movie: Under the Sea 3-D. Ryan LOVED movies, so I thought this would be a perfect way to celebrate his birthday. It was the first movie the kids have ever been to and they did really well. Wyatt would not wear the glasses, but it was fun anyway.

Looking silly in our 3-D glasses!

My evening ended with a group of friends at Qdoba for dinner. The friends God has brought into my life through our church are truly a blessing to me. They gave me a gift that honored who Ryan was and I am speechless at their thoughtfulness and compassion.

Here is what was written in the card:

Happy 28th Birthday to Ryan -- In honor of him we have purchased a memorial brick at Wrigley Field home of the Chicago Cubs. May his memory & legacy live on as a blessing to you and your kids and the generations to come.

Thank you so much to all of the thoughtful and generous people who gave to make that wonderful gift possible! I am so blessed to have you all in my life!!!

This has been a day of both tears and laughter. I am thankful for Ryan and for the life he lived. I am thankful for the blessing that he was in my life and in the life of so many people. He was an amazing husband, daddy, son, brother, and friend.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

I was happy to celebrate this special day with you for such an incredible person as Ryan was. Terry and I will always honor Ryan as we remember the passion he had in this life for his Savior. Truly one to be looked up to.

Love all the different ideas you had for his special day! Ryan would be humbled to know you guys trudged out in this cold weather to send up his balloons! Great birthday lunch! Ice cream is the best;-)

Jolynn said...

kristin
what an amazing mom/wife you are. i'm sure ryan would be so very proud of you. another 1st done...praying for you continually.

Kelly said...

Oh Kristin,
The video brought tears to my eyes..how bitter sweet it is to see our little ones "celebrating" at a cemetery. :o( But what a precious video it is! Thank u for sharing this and the pictures with all of us...And wow - I love the idea of the brick in memory of Ryan! That is such a neat idea and it ALWAYS brings such a huge comfort when other people think about the person we are missing so very much...I pray that you are doing okay this morning - feeling Gods presence all around you today. Love ya lots girl - wish I could be there to celebrate such special occassions with you! But please know that we said a b-day prayer for all of you yesterday! God bless u all..
Kelly

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

what a perfect way to celebrate ryan's birthday. what an incredible gift from your friends.

Valerie said...

I am so thankful for your friends! They truly are a gift from God!

Yes, you made through another first. And yes, for that you are a stronger person. May you continue to see God in EVERY step of this journey....He loves to hold your hand!

Love you dearly, friend!

Michelle Swidrak said...

Wow, what a great celebration day! You are such a great mommy!

Danielle in MO said...

I tried to look at this yestreday - but it wouldn't load for me - so I was glad to day I could see... what a great way to celebrate his birthday!! Glad that you were able to have some good old girl time too.... and what an amazing gift.... and how fun to get to go see it one day!!! Ryan would have loved it!!

jessicagv said...

Hi. I have been following your blog for about 9 months now. I just wanted to say that I think you did a great job celebrating Ryan's birthday. What a wonderful thing to make it a happy day.

Also, my son has the same jammies as Wyatt in the picture. They are his favorite!

Kandy said...

Tears fall for you. You are such an amazing woman. Your kids are so blessed by how you celebrate Ryan's life each and every day. I am so glad God has given you them and that He gave you the years with Ryan you had. I love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers