Today was a little more disappointing than yesterday. When I arrived at the hospital this morning Ryan was on 70% oxygen. He had a rough night last night and that caused his oxygen needs to go up. They used a new (and somewhat scary) method to try and clean out some of the junk in his lungs. It is very successful at suctioning the stuff out, but I don't like being in the room while they do it. They were able to get his oxygen down to 65% before I left tonight, but it was still not down to the 55% it was at yesterday.
I did sign the consent forms for Ryan's trach surgery. They don't plan on doing it until Thursday afternoon, but they wanted to come and explain things to me and just make sure that I/we would consent. The surgeons are hoping that Ryan's oxygen needs will be down before the surgery, but as long as he is stable they are okay with doing the surgery. Please pray specifically that his oxygen will come down into the 40's or 50's before the surgery.
On a different note, I had a conversation with Ryan's nurse today that reminded me of my "job" right now. She told me that she became a Christian because of her work in the ICU. She said that she could always tell a difference between the families who were Christians and those who were not. She said that unbelieving families always seemed to be more chaotic in the ICU while believing families always had such peace. She decided to discover their secret to peace and found God. She told me she would be praying for Ryan and I am so thankful that he has people taking care of him who trust our heavenly Father too! I think it is amazing that God can be using me right now to bring him glory!
Thanks again for your continued prayers!
4 comments:
very cool about the nurse, we're praying along with her--joel vk
Kristin
I tried to email you, but it wouldn't work! Anyway, I jus wanted to say I'm thinking of you right now. This verse came to mind.
Romans 5:3-5 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.
Thinking and praying! Much love,
Laura
Hi Kristin,
I just wanted to say hello and that we are praying for you!
Love,
Michelle, John, and Evelyn Swidrak
hi there! My name is Emily and Im cousins with the Burke family (karen and Mike) I just wanted to let you know that your family is in my prayers. My brother went through ICU a couple of years ago because of a car accident (brain injury). He was 18. It is so try what they say about how you can tell a christian family from one that is not. God definitely gives you a peace during times like this. Keep up the faith and know that through this time of struggle God can do miraculous things. He can use everything for his glory. Lord I pray right now that you give the Sweeney family strength and a peace that surpasses all understanding. Hold this family tightly in your arms. Let people around them see your love pouring out of them. Amen
Post a Comment